Things to look for when buying a cheap caravan:
- general condition on the outside
- condition of the chassis
- can you wind the stabilser legs up and down?
- is there a power lead?
- is there a water hose?
- is there a gas bottle and does it have a current date stamp?
- do the brakes work?
- do the electrics operate properly both inside and outside?
- does the stove ignite and do the burners work?
- are the tyres perished?
- cheap for signs of water damage - can be expensive to rectify
- check inside all cupboards and under beds for signs of damp
- check to see if all plumbing is working properly and there is no signs of leaks
Hopefully you will find a cheap caravan in better condition than this one!
Cheap caravans can provide an excellent introduction to the caravanning lifestyle and allows families to have an affordable holiday at the same time. You may find there is a little bit of work to do when you buy a cheap caravan, but that can be half the fun. Getting the whole family involved in the 'renovation' process is all part of the experience, and the kids will love being able to help out and contribute to their caravanning holiday.
Your best time to buy a cheap caravan is in winter when the demand is low, and of course the worst time is around Christmas when many people need extra accommodation in their backyard for visiting family members. This can put pressure on the cheap caravan market and cause prices to rise because of higher demand. Although you probably won't be feeling much like going caravanning in the middle of winter, it really is the best time to buy and it will also give you time to make any necessary improvements before summer arrives.
Anyone who is handy and has a few basic tools will be able to renovate a cheap caravan. Usually there is not much to do, but some components such as tables and cupboards may need some fixing up with some new hinges and perhaps a coat of paint.
As the old saying goes, 'you get what you pay for' and that goes for buying cheap caravans as well. In saying that, be sure to look around to see what is available and compare before you buy. This will give you the insight to know a great deal when you see one, and you'll be able to pick up a cheap caravan at a bargain price. Good Luck!